Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Techie Talk: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4

Luck finally struck me again.  And no I did not win the BMW X3 but I walked home 1 galaxy tab richer.  Lots of gratitude to Ctibank's unlock BMW X3 contest.



First of all, I'm not exactly a tablet fan.  Maybe because my first tablet, the Lenovo K2110 is a bit of  a let down.  But since it's free and I validate the hell out of that damn thing, I have little complain.  My parents are happily using it now for their candy crushing madness.



But since I started to grow a bad habit of reading e-books and reading from my tinny tiny iphone screen won't do, this tab comes at the right time.  So how would a far modern tablet fare against my old Z2460 powered tablet?
















First and foremost, the outside.  The finishing were good.  Very Samsung like.  Just think of a up-scaled Galaxy S5.  But if you look closer, there are plenty of rough edges such as microphone holes, edges around micro USB slot etc.  It can be ignored most of the time.  But once you noticed it, it's quite obvious.  The physical buttons are a bit flimsy.  Not a solid click you get from Apple devices.  Very Samsung like again.  Overall, it still feels good in your hand.

Very light, weighing at 298g.  It won't tired out you hands holding it for a prolonged period of time.  8.4 inch is just a right fit.  Larger than regular 7 inch tablet means you'll get more screen area without the weight of a 10 inch tab.  This one has a 2560 x 1600 resolution which is amazing. One noticeable thing, the screen is still bluish in shade.  Just like all other galaxy lineups.  All because of the PenTile matrix Saunsung is using across their products.  Very Samsung like indeed.
















Inside, this runs on Exynos quad 1.9GHz A15 + 1.3GHz quad A7 processor.  3GB RAM provides *good* mutitasking.  16GB internal storage with expandable micro SD slot.  This thing has a 8MP world facing camera for a decent snap.  I still feel my iphone 5 takes better picture though.  You can get more detailed spec here.




















The Tab S comes with 4.4.2 KK but 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for download.  I went straight for the Lollipop update.  For those who use Samsung phone before, you'll have no problem getting accustomed with the TouchWiz UI.  




















Although the TouchWiz provides some nifty features, it does suck up some of the performance especially during heavy multitasking where you jump from app to app.  I did experience some 2-3 second hang time under heavy usage.

 














I won;t comment much on the CPU or GPU performance as I don't really do 3D intensive stuff.  But from what I know, the Mali GPU is always a bit under-powered.  But in exchange you get a power efficient GPU.  Give and take.

Overall, this one is definitely a winner over my old K2110.  Not only the spec went up by quite a huge margin, the weight comes down making it far easier to use.

1 comment:

  1. "very good." evaluation! Your thorough analysis sheds important light on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4. Tech lovers will find it to be a useful resource because it is straightforward and instructive. Hoping further technological discoveries in the MobilezMarket. Keep your wonderful effort!"

    ReplyDelete